Can I get my prescription medications from the VA?
By law, you must be enrolled in the VA Healthcare system and followed by a VA healthcare provider in order to get medications from a VA pharmacy.

How can I get into the VA Healthcare system?
You must submit a completed VA Form 10-10EZ and copy of your honorable discharge papers (DD-214 or equivalent) to the appropriate VA Medical Center Eligibility office. See your CVSO (County Veteran's Service Officer) for assistance in properly completing the application form.

Do I have to enroll to receive VA health care?
While most veterans must be enrolled to receive VA health care, some veterans are exempt from enrollment requirements due to meeting special eligibility criteria. If you fall into one of the following categories, you are not required to enroll:

If you are seeking care for a VA-rated service connected condition only - if VA has rated you with a service-connected disability of 50% or more - if less than one year has passed since you were discharged for a disability that the military determined Was incurred or aggravated in the line of duty, but that VA has not yet rated

I am a recently discharged combat veteran. Must I pay VA co-payments?
If the services are provided for the treatment of a condition that may be related to your military service, you will not be charged any co-payments. This benefit is limited to a five year period following military discharge. You will, however, be subject to means testing (and co-payments, if applicable) for care of any condition clearly not related to your military service such as a broken limb or a problem that existed prior to entering service.

What are VA co-payments?
These are nominal amounts charged to you or billed to your private medical insurance carrier by VA for out-patient/in-patient care, and for prescription drugs you receive.

How can I get the government to pay me for my disabilities?
VA Compensation benefits may be paid to eligible veterans who have disabling physical and/or mental conditions which were incurred or aggravated during military service. Compensation payments are not affected by other income. Application forms for service-connected compensation are available through the Veterans Service Office. Your CVSO will assist in completing the necessary forms.

Do I need to pay taxes on my compensation received from the VA? To date any and all compensation received for disabilities through the Veterans Affairs is non-taxable income.

Hearing aids and eyeglasses are listed as "limited" benefits. Under what circumstances do I qualify? To qualify for hearing aids and eyeglasses, you must have a service connected disability rating of 10% or more. You may also qualify if you are a former prisoner of war or are receiving increased pension based on your need for regular aid and attendance or being permanently housebound.

Do I qualify for routine health care at non-VA facilities at VA expense?
To qualify for routine non-VA care at VA expense (otherwise known as fee-basis care), you must first be given specific authorization. Included among the factors in determining whether such care will be authorized is your medical condition and availability of VA services within your geographic area.

Am I eligible for emergency care at non-VA facilities?
You are eligible if the non-VA emergency care is for a service connected condition, or if enrolled, you have been provided care by a VA clinician or provider within the past 24 months and have no other coverage or ability to pay for the services. Also, it must be determined that VA health facilities were not feasibly available, that a delay in medical attention would have endangered your life or health, and that you are personally liable for the cost of the services. You then have 48 hours to notify hours to notify the VA. As soon as your condition is stable, transfer to a VA facility should be arranged.

Do I quality for travel benefits?
You may qualify for beneficiary travel payments if you fall into one of the following categories:

If you have a service-connected rating of 30% or more - you are traveling for treatment of a service connected condition - you receive a VA pension - you are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension exam - your household income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate - your medical condition requires an ambulance or a specially equipped van, you are unable to defray the  cost, and the travel is pre-authorized (authorization is not required for emergencies if a delay would endanger your life or health.

How can I get a VA pension?
Pension benefits may be paid to veterans who have a nonservice-connected (post service) disability which has been or can be diagnosed as permanent and total in nature, preventing gainful employment, and have income and assets below a given financial level. You should contact your CVSO for an interview to determine eligibility, and for assistance in applying for this benefit. Are there any benefits for widows of veterans? Yes, there are a number of VA benefits for widows. The most frequently applied for is known as the death pension, or widow's pension. This benefit is paid to low or marginal income widows (disability is not a factor), and is dependent upon the amount of other income, net worth, and out-of-pocket medical expenses. Widows who feel they may qualify for this financial assistance should definitely work through the Veterans Service Office to apply.

What other widow's benefits are available?
Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), nursing home care, State of Minnesota Veterans Nursing Home eligibility, home loan guarantee, and educational benefits. See you local CVSO for additional details and assistance.

I was discharged with "bad paper". Can I do anything about this?
With some degree of difficulty and a lot of effort on your part, a discharge received under other than honorable conditions can sometimes be upgraded. The CVSO will advise and assist you with this matter.

My Purple Heart and other medals I am entitled to do not show up on my separation papers (DD-214 or equivalent). Can this be corrected?
Missing or erroneous entries on discharge papers can sometimes be corrected. Again, you should definitely seek the help of a veteran’s advocate, such as your CVSO, when filing an application for correction of military records.

How can I get medals I am entitled to and never received, or that have been lost?
By sending a Standard Form 180 (SF-180) to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, MO. This is best done through the Veterans Service Office.

How can I get a copy of my lost discharge papers?
There are a number of sources from which you may be able to get certified discharge papers or photocopies of your discharge. The Veterans Service Office will assist you.

Where can I get my retired military or dependent's ID card renewed or replaced?
Military ID card service is provided at the several locations and the Veterans Service Office will set-up an appointment for you.

Who is eligible for Chapter 1607?
A member of a Reserve component who serves on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10 U.S. Code for contingency operation and who serves at least 90 consecutive days or more is eligible for Chapter 1607. National Guard members also are eligible if their active duty is under section 502 (f), title 32 U.S.C. and they serve for 90 consecutive days when authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency and is supported by federal funds. Individuals are eligible as soon as they reach the 90 day point whether or not they are currently on active duty. DoD will fully identify contingency operations that qualify for benefits under chapter 1607. Disabled members who are injured or have an illness or disease incurred or aggravated in the line of duty and are released from active duty before completing 90 consecutive days are also eligible.

Who is eligible for the Dependents and Survivors Educational Assistance Program-Chapter 35?
This program provides financial aid for the education of a dependent or surviving son, daughter, or spouse of a veteran with a 100% permanent and total service connected disability that dies from any cause, a service person missing in action, or a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces. A new category effective December 23, 2006 includes a veteran who has a service connected permanent and total disability; and at the time of VA's determination is a member of the Armed Forces who is hospitalized or is receiving outpatient medical care, services, or treatment; and is likely to be discharged or released from service from this service connected disability.

What is the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program?
The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program has two key goals. First, to assist the service-disabled veteran to prepare for, obtain, and maintain suitable employment. Second, for those persons who are severely disabled and that gainful employment is not an option, assistance may be provided to allow that person to live more independently in his or her community.

Am I entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation?
Any veteran with a compensable disability rating of 10% or more is invited to file application for Vocational rehabilitation by completing VA form 28-1900 and submitting it to your local VA Office. Once the application is filed, an appointment will be scheduled for you to discuss your educational plans, test your aptitude, interests and abilities as well as review the nature of your disability and how it affects your ability to gain employment. A decision of your entitlement to the benefit will be rendered after the counseling appointment.

What is a VA guaranteed home loan?
VA guaranteed loans are made by private lenders, such as banks, savings & loans, or mortgage companies to eligible veterans for the purchase of a home which must be for their own personal occupancy. The guaranty means the lender is protected against loss if you or a later owner fails to repay the loan. The guaranty replaces the protection the lender normally received by requiring a down payment allowing you to obtain favorable financing terms.


Faribault County Veterans Services
435 S. Grove St.
Ag Center Plaza, Suite 1A
Blue Earth, MN 56013

Phone: 507-526-6268
Fax:     507-526-4593

Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM